Sunday, April 09, 2006

Post Mortem

Well, I was working late last night.

I filet brazed the top-tube to the seat-tube using Freddy's Filet silver. Filet isn't really my thing, but it seemed relatively easy to build the filet up. I sanded it down and got better results than I thought. However, there are a couple of spots where I need to further build up with silver.

Finding a method to smooth out the filet without gouging the tubes is a challenge. What I finally found that worked was a small flap wheel. I think it came from a Dremel. Its about 1/4" wide and about 7/8" diameter. This got chucked into my Foredom tool and put to work. more pictures soon.

On the upper headlug, flowing the silver was harder than usual and I got some filler drips. This isn't normally a bad problem. Usually, its possible to spread them out with heat so they can barely be felt when the tubes cool down. Then its easy to sand them off. This time they wouldn't smooth out. It was frustrating. When all was said and done, it turned out I'd grabbed the filet silver for this lug. Duh!!!!

Anyhow the lug is in good shape, but there's lots of cleanup to get the drips off. As with the filets, its important to avoid cutting into the tube while removing the silver. So, time and patience are required.

No comments: